|Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe||Shop Fox||Weight: 153 Kg
Size: 43 inches Warranty: 2 Years
|Central Machinery Precision Mini Lathe||Central Machinery||RPM: 0 – 2500
Centers Distance: 10 inches
Motor: 0.75 HP
|Shop Fox M1015||Shop Fox||RPM: 100 – 2000
Centers Distance: 10 inches
Motor: 0.5 HP
|Erie Tools 7×14||Erie Tools||RPM: 0 – 2500
Centers Distance: 14 inches
Motor: 0.53 HP
|Grizzly Industrial G8688||Grizzly||RPM: 0 – 2500
Centers Distance: 12 inches
Motor: 0.75 HP
Table of Contents
- 1: Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe With Cast Iron Legs And Digital Readout
- 2: Mophorn Lathe Machine
- What is a Lathe Machine?
- Points to be considered while buying Lathe Machine
- What do consumers say about top brands Lathe Machine?
- What is the best wood lathe for the money?
- How much does a lathe machine cost?
- What is the best wood lathe?
- What is the best mini lathe?
- What are the lathe machine and its types?
- What can a lathe machine use for?
1: Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe With Cast Iron Legs And Digital Readout
- Weight 153 Kg
- Size 43 inches
- Power Source Corded-electrical
- Horsepower 2 HP
- Warranty 2 Years
- Battery required No
The Shop Fox Lathe Machine comes in the category of wood-turning lathe machine. The price and overall quality would be hard-pressed to find a better deal on a full-size lathe. Sure one step up to a One Way or robust but be prepared to spend $3000 minimum.
The experienced turner who has used several lathes, this shop fox lathe is considered as Best Lathe for the beginner to advanced non-professional by quickly allowing both inboard and outboard turning.
Assembly is straightforward and takes just 20 minutes to assemble the particular parts. The unpainted metal slides had zero rust due to the impregnated paper covering those areas.
The speed rises all way up to 550 RPM to 2750 RPM according to the use. Shop Fox W1758runs very smoothly with zero vibration. There are holes in the leg casting which allows a shelf fitted, though a little on the low side.
- Lever adjusts the speed limit
- Headstock rotation up to 90,120 & 180 degrees
- Assembling the parts is easy
- Body construction is solid
- The motor has ample power
- Belt wearing out prematurely causing an increase in the lowest speed
- Speed Controller is not the best
- Cheap adjustment levers
- Tool rest flimsy
- Tightening of centers
- Cast iron legs and bed are tough to perform a heavy-duty operation on the workpiece
- Reusing of nuts & bolts can be quickly done
- Adjustment on the machine done easily
- The adjustable tool rest provides proper support for the turning tool you will be using; it easily adjusted to the desired height and distance from the workpiece
- Easy-to-use locking handles
- The lathe machines offer outboard turning which is the variation of faceplate turning which used when the diameter is 12 inches long
- Speed can be varied from 600 to 2400 PM
- The tailstock is equipped with a cam-action clamping system to secure it to the lathe bed
- It includes an MT#2 live center for starting the spindles right away
- Contains a heavy 2 HP motor which can do the work in minimal time.
2: Mophorn Lathe Machine
The Mophorn lathe machine comes in the category of the Metal-turning lathe machine. The Mini-Lathe is designed for the precise types of metal turning. O.D. and I.D. were turning, drilling, threading, and cutting jobs on various materials.
The Mophorn Lathe machine used in areas where mini processing parts, modeling works & sample processing completed. After settings & initial adjustment, machining of 5-6 different materials (including steel) to the same dimensions showed repeatability at the level of 0.002-0.004″: good result for a machine of such class.
The lathe is free of play for mechanical parts, with smooth operation. The spindle is rotated between the different speeds of 50 to 2500 RPM with the help of a variable speed motor.
No doubt in the construction of the body of this lathe machine as high-quality welding done between the parts for the toughness & vibration is prohibited. The Lathe is ideal for turning, threading & cutting for numerous.
- Weight 41 Kg
- Size 98 inches
- Power Source Ac/Dc
- Horsepower 0.75 HP
- Warranty 2 Years
- Battery required No
- Body construction is excellent
- The durability of the machine
- Has less weight
- Affordable & cheap
- Easy to use
- Tailstock clamping screw needed to be shortened to allow movement along the entire bed
- The compound was not locking in place
- The compound handle was missing
- Proper cleaning and lubrication were necessary for the transmission.
- Emergency switch is provided in the case to prevent the worst-case
- Variable speed control knob offers to control the machine at various speed
- The unique indicator lamp, given for the power option
- The spindle has the power to rotate in forward & reverse direction simultaneously
- The lightest lathe machine compared to other lathe machines
- The precision range is 12 to 52 TPI which is decent for the use
- The carriage is adjustable for long workpieces
- Morphon lathe machines used for educational & small scale purpose provides the Fuse
- No vibration noticed
What is a Lathe Machine?
A lathe is a machine that is used for rotating & machining a piece of work between two adjacent jaws. Lathe Machine does Woodturning, metal spinning, metalworking, and glass working. The Metal Lathe is suitable in producing plane surfaces, screw threads & solids of revolution. The material can be placed towards the centers so that other equipment fitted horizontally.
The principal of Operations of Lathe:
The Lathe machine is used in various operations like cutting the metal or shaping the metal, by fitting the workpiece on the device & while rotating an advanced tool is used to develop or cut the metal. The lathe machine provides various rotating speed on the workpiece to reduce or give a specific corner of the metal.
Dimensioning Of Lathe Machine:
The swing & length determines the size of the Lathe machine. Swing is a V-shaped surface that guides the movable parts of the device. Bed length is the entire length used as the most extended piece, rotated between the centers of headstock & tailstock.
Lathe machine & its types:
Engine Lathe – It is the most common form of Lathe machines which comes in large size & shapes with motor fitted into it to perform various operations
Bench Lathe – A bench Lathe used for processing the small workpieces & is usually of low power.
Tracer Lathe – Generally, the tracer Lathe is used to trace the exact copy of the template shown.
Automatic Lathe – The automatic lathe performs the operation automatically on the workpiece & also removes it without the use of an operator; it provides the process sequentially as set by the user.
Turret Lathe – Many tools attached to the tailstock to perform quick changes in the tooling & cutting operation, it is also known as the fastest lathe machine.
Computer Controlled Lathe – As suggested by the name, all the actions are controlled & provided by computer coding or programs to give particular shape & size to the workpiece.
Points to be considered while buying Lathe Machine
1. Price or Quality? – The cost & quality should be a consideration while purchasing a lathe machine; it depends totally on your choice, whether you are buying it for the essential purpose like home usage or large scale like industry purpose?
2. Capacity- The lathe machines categorized in two measures:-
- The Maximum Length- The lathe machines have large bed size diameter which is used to do operations on the large workpiece, but it also creates vibration problem if it is not braced appropriately, so consider buying it for large scale industry purpose only
- The Minimum Length- Only Consider when the need is not too much for the operations on the workpiece.
- Swing- Preferably the size is considered as 230 mm for any severe or home usage
3. Mounting – Are you a short term Lathe machine user? Then buying a bench-mounted model will be sufficient for you.
For professional users, the heavy-duty floor-standing lathe will be a better option for them as they have a large & heavy-duty work on a large scale.
4. Make sure the bed is strong enough – While buying a lathe machine make sure that the bed surface is made of sturdy steel so that workpiece could see standstill to perform an entire operation according to the need of the user.
5. Choose headstocks and bearings – This part is called the heart of the machine. Headstocks are fabricated & are heavy for effective balance work. The headstock should have a wide gap between the bearings to ensure maximum rigidity of the spindle. The quality of the bearing should be best & should have heavy-duty sealed ball races
6. Morse tapers are essential –Morse tapers should be present in both headstock & tailstock. The manufacturer itself already fits these.
7. Size of Motor- Consider buying the lathe machine with big motors as the speed varies according to the need. The engine produces 200-4000 RPM.
8. Location of switchgear- The area of the switchgear should be easily visible as in case of emergency it could be easily switched off, preventing any casualties to the person.
9. Faceplate locking system- it is important as it provides firm support between-center work.
10. Selection of tool rest assembly- The tool-rest assembly is another vital part of the lathe, the main requirement that it is quickly adjustable. The locking mechanism varies from machine to machine, but the cam type of lock is easier to use as it is accessible from the front of the lathe.
What do consumers say about top brands Lathe Machine?
Now Consumers are well aware of deciding which type of lathe machine they have to use for their own needs. The Lathe machine comes in 2 categories of the usage
- Wood-turning Lathe machine:
The woodturning Lathe machines needed in the large scale wood-working industry; these recommended to carpentry workers where wood is to be cut or given shape, they can also be used for home-usage.
- Metal-turning Lathe machine:
These are the primary lathe machine that is used for the cutting or sharpening of the metal according to their purpose, these recommended to metal-specialist who can perform their job well.
What is the best wood lathe for the money?
The Best Lathe Machine in the category of Wood Lathe is the Shop fox Lathe machine as the price & quality is reasonable with proper construction & an enormous amount of power in the motor. Also, the weight is quite low, which gives it durability & reliability.
How much does a lathe machine cost?
The cost of the lathe machine depends on its performance & demand — the lathe machines, used for cutting & shaping the metal according to the need. So the lathe machines are categorized based on the cost:-
1. Heavy-Duty lathe machines- These are very expensive & has extra features contained, used by large scale industry purpose.
2. Mini Lathe machines- These are not too expensive & not too cheap; used for small scale purposes & home use for the small workpiece.
What is the best wood lathe?
The Powermatic Woodworking Lathe, considered as one of the best in the wood lathe segment, the construction & the performance of the lathe attracts the customers also the wood Lathe reviews are excellent.
What is the best mini lathe?
The best mini lathe is the Morphon lathe machine which is of small size & used for small workpieces.
What are the lathe machine and its types?
A lathe is a machine that is used for rotating & machining a piece of work between two adjacent jaws.
Lathe machine & its type:
1. Engine Lathe – It is the most common form of Lathe machines which comes in large size & shapes with motor fitted into it to perform various operations
2. Bench Lathe- A bench lathe machine used for processing the small workpieces & is usually of low power.
3. Tracer Lathe – Generally, the tracer lathe machine is used to trace the exact copy of the template shown.
4. Automatic Lathe – The automatic lathe performs the operation automatically on the workpiece & also removes it without the use of the operator; it provides the process sequentially as set by the user.
5. Turret Lathe – Many tools attached to the tailstock to performs quick changes in the tooling & cutting operation, it is also known as the fastest lathe machine.
6. Computer Controlled Lathe – As suggested by the name, all the operations are controlled & provided by computer coding or programs to give particular shape & size to the workpiece.
What can a lathe machine use for?
Lathe Machine does Woodturning, metal spinning, metalworking, and glass working. The metalworking Lathes are suitable in producing plane surfaces, screw threads & solids of revolution.